The Investment Director is a senior manager of the Fund and is responsible for overseeing all aspects of the Fund’s day to day activities, including identifying potential investments; managing the technical and business due diligence process; and planning, coordination, management and execution of the Fund’s investment activities
(including the sourcing, evaluation and management of investments across a diversified portfolio based on technologies such as AI, therapeutics, robotics, advanced manufacturing, agricultural technology, diagnostics and digital health). As part of such day-to-day activities, the Investment Director will negotiate financial and non-
financial terms (both during and after the initial investment stage, in transactions such as conversions of debt to equity and mergers and acquisitions), finalize investment documentation, and deploy or direct provision of management support to the Fund’s portfolio companies.
The Investment Director also will collaborate with the investment professionals at each regional Ben Franklin to identify growth stage investment opportunities, organize the due diligence materials, review and structure investment documentation, and provide ongoing support and reporting. The Investment Director will also
coordinate and support the internal deal champions and target management teams through the review process.
The Investment Director also will manage the fully invested GO Philly Fund.
Fundraising is not required for this role but is preferred.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Administrative & Management
- Manage and supervise the investment activity for the GO PA Fund, including conducting regular meetings, approving special projects, regional site visits across the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, and monitoring progress and results.
- Manage and supervise the investment activity for the GO Philly Fund, including conducting regular meetings, approving special projects, regional site visits across the Greater Philadelphia region, and monitoring progress and results.
- Manage external consultants (due diligence, portfolio management, others as appropriate), including execution of contractual agreements.
- Work with senior management and investment professionals at each regional Ben Franklin to identify potential investment opportunities.
- Work with Finance to ensure all appropriate reports are submitted and all appropriate requirements as requested by auditors.
- Prepare and present reports as may be required for the organization’s stakeholders, such as the Board of Directors and its committees, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, and the limited partners of the funds.
- Organize, manage and lead limited partner meetings.
Investment Process Management
- Identify potential investment opportunities in growth stage companies across the entire Ben Franklin network.
- Creatively develop and execute outreach strategies to seek out appropriate investment prospects in the Ben Franklin network portfolio, and work with regional investment professionals to assess their viability for the Fund.
- Review proposals, identify key business issues, and assign and supervise in-house due diligence reviewers.
- Lead the internal investment review process and assist the GO PA Fund’s Investment Committee with their review and approval of investment opportunities, including preparation of memos for the GO PA Fund’s Investment Committee, participation in GO PA Fund Investment Committee meetings, and any other requests
- Lead the internal investment review process and assist the GO Philly Fund’s Investment Committee with their review and approval of investment opportunities, including preparation of memos for the GO Philly Fund’s Investment Committee, participation in GO Philly Fund Investment Committee meetings, and any other
requests or requirements.
- Supervise the negotiations and preparation of contracts and other documents required to initiate investments.
- Monitor portfolio company compliance with terms and conditions of investments, including ensuring receipt of appropriate ongoing compliance documentation, such as final reports, commitment letters, and performance impact surveys.
- Conduct portfolio company site visits, as needed. Manage portfolio management reports detailing business issues.
- Represent both funds as an observer on portfolio companies’ boards of directors.
- Manage relationships with limited partners, including quarterly meetings, reporting, capital calls, taxation materials, and distributions.