If selected, you will join a team that is responsible for, among other things, issuing guidance (e.g., no-action letters, staff bulletins) and providing exemptive relief under the Company Act and the Advisers Act as well as their related rules. As a Branch Chief, you will be responsible for the day-to-day operations of a team of staff attorneys, managing a broad range of assignments, and collaborating with leadership to ensure that the work of the office serves the mission of the Commission and the Division.
Typical duties include:
- Managing a team of staff attorneys, which includes oversight of a varied portfolio of projects as well as carrying out supervisory duties, such as: performance management, training, awards, and recruitment; workload management; keeping employees motivated; promoting employee professional development; and keeping employees informed regarding the policies, procedures, and goals of the Commission as they relate to their work on assigned projects.
- Providing and recommending formal guidance, which may include no-action or interpretive letters, Commission orders or releases, or other forms of guidance, that affects investment companies, variable insurance products, investment advisers and other participants in the asset management industry.
- Providing informal guidance on inquiries received (e.g., from external parties, from other offices within the Division of Investment Management) relating to investment companies, variable insurance products, investment advisers and other participants in the asset management industry.
- Preparing Congressional testimony and assisting in drafting proposed legislation as well as responding to inquiries from Congress and other federal government agencies relating to investment companies, variable insurance products and investment advisers.
- Providing assistance to other Divisions and Offices in the Commission (e.g. Corporation Finance, Enforcement, EXAMS and Trading & Markets) on matters related to investment companies, variable insurance products and investment advisers as well as the asset management industry generally.